Thursday, October 31, 2013

Lunch - Day one (October 30)


No meals are provided at WCC, so there’s an opportunity to find food from local eateries. Emily Evans and I went across to a huge shopping centre across the road. But first we went past protesters, apparently angry that WCC encourages dialogue with Muslims (and other faith traditions), and supports the rights of gay people. The protesters were respectful but clearly some were passionate about their viewpoint. There is certainly a large police presence around Bexco to keep it safe for so many foreigners gathered in one place.
Emily (About FACE 8 alumni) took me up to the food court  in a massive shopping centre (past the Trevi fountain replica – kind of a copy of Las Vegas copying European treasures). You order by number (a bit of guess work to figure out what each picture represents). The thin metal chopsticks take a bit of getting used to (I thought I was good at the regular wooden variety but requires fine motor skills to master the thinner metal ones – hard to grasp and slippery. I saw a couple of local ladies holding them high up very daintily. Hmmm, not something I can manage so I’ll improvise as best I can!
I ordered a dish that had a LOT of noodles. Nothing like a lot of carbohydrate to get through a long day! And they were slippery noodles to manage with slippery chopsticks. But I didn’t starve (I’m also very determined!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment